Visiting and staying in the French overseas Départements (DOM)

You wish to spend time in Guadeloupe, Martinique, Guyane or the Réunion, also known as the French overseas départements.

1. You wish to visit a DOM for less than 90 days
2. You wish stay in a DOM for over 90 days
3. Working Holiday visa for the DOM

JPEG - 414.7 kb

1.Short stay visas for the French overseas Départments

Do I need a visa to visit the French overseas départements?

  • YES, if you are a citizen of the following countries even if you hold a Canadian Permanent Resident Card
Afghanistan Albania [1] Algeria
Angola Anguilla Armenia
Azerbaijan Bahrain Bangladesh
Belize Benin Bhutan
Belarus Bolivia Bosnia and Hezegovina [2]
Botswana British Virgin Islands Burkina Faso
Burma Burundi Cambodia
Cameroon Cape Verde Cayman Islands
Central African Republic Chad China
Colombia Comoros Congo
Dem. Republic of Congo Djibouti
Dominican Republic Egypt Ecuador
Eritrea Ethiopia Equatorial Guinea
Fiji Gabon Gambia
Georgia Ghana Gibraltar
Guinea Guinea Bissau
Guyana Haiti Hong Kong except S.A.R.
India Indonesia Iraq
Iran Ivory Coast Jamaica
Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya
Kyrgyzstan Kiribati Kuwait
Laos Lesotho Lebanon
Liberia Libya Macao except S.A.R.
Macedonia Madagascar Malawi
Maldives Mali Marshall Islands
Morocco Mauritania Micronesia
Moldova [3] Mongolia Montserrat
Mozambique Namibia Nauru
Nepal Niger Nigeria
North Korea Oman Pakistan
Palau Palestine Papua new Guinea
Peru Philippines Qatar
Refugees Russia Rwanda
Saudi Arabia Saint Lucia Sao Tome Principe
Saint Helen Salomon Islands
Senegal Serbia
Sierra Leone Somalia Sudan
South Sudan South Africa Sri Lanka
Stateless Suriname Swaziland
Tajikistan Taiwan [4] Tanzania
Thailand Togo
Tonga Tunisia
Turks and Caicos Turkmenistan Turkey
Tuvalu Uganda Ukraine
United Arab Emirates Uzbekistan
Vietnam Yemen Zambia

Holders of a Canadian Certificate of Identity (grey cover): please note that this document is not recognized and does not enble its holder to travel to the French Overseas Départements and territories.

  • NO, if you fall under one of these exemption categories

- Nationals of the European Union, the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland

- Holders of a currently valid residency document for France, regardless of their Citizenship;

- Nationals of the following countries: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Bermuda, Bolivia, Canada, Chile, South Korea, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, the United States, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Holy See, Singapore, Uruguay, Venezuela, Mauritius, Seychelles, Bahamas, Barbados, Antigua and Barbuda, Saint Kitts and Nevis.

- Holders of passports from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (People’s Republic of China) and the Macau Special Administrative Region (People’s Republic of China).

- Facilitation for cruise ship passengers: besides the categories of foreigners that are already visa-exempt, cruise ship passengers meeting the following criteria may enter without an overseas visa during their stopover:

    • holders of a currently valid Schengen visa issued by France;
    • holders of a currently valid residency document issued by a member state of the European Union, the European Economic Area or by Switzerland, Andorra or Monaco;
    • holders of a currently valid residency document issued by Canada, Japan or the United States of America.
How to file an application

As of May 15th, 2014, with the implementation of the V.I.S (Visa Information System), all applicants over the age of 12 will have to get their biometric data - photo and fingerprints - collected.

Therefore, applicants over 12 years old wherever they reside, will have to come in person to file their applications in Vancouver.

No appointment can be made at the counter, by phone or by e-mail. Appointments are reserved for applications. Do not book an appointment to obtain information - information can only be obtained by email.

1 appointment = 1 passport. A family of 4 will need 4 slots, even if the children are minors.


Please provide the required documents in the following order, with the original and the copy together. Do not use any paper clips or staples. Presenting a file that has not been organized will delay the application.

1. Passport issued less than 10 years ago and valid at least three months after the expiry date of the visa + photocopy of all the main pages (pages with picture, expiry date of passport, previous Schengen visas, etc..)

There must be at least two empty pages left in your passport for the visa and the entry stamp. The passport must be valid for three (3) months after your return to Canada.

2. one short stay visa application form filled out and signed. It is the same form as for the Schengen visa application.

- Français :

PDF - 87 kb
Formulaire de demande de visa Schengen
(PDF - 87 kb)

- English :

PDF - 108.8 kb
Schengen Visa Application Form
(PDF - 108.8 kb)

- Chinese - please fill out the form in English :

PDF - 896.2 kb
Application Form Chinese
(PDF - 896.2 kb)

3. Processing fee.

4. two recent and identical ID pictures, format 35mm X 45mm only, respecting the following photo quality:

- Required Photo quality :

PDF - 220.6 kb
Photo requirements
(PDF - 220.6 kb)

Please paste one picture on the form and include the remaining one in an envelope.

5. Any document supporting your status in Canada and allowing your re-entry (Permanent resident card, work or study permit, visitor record) + copy.

6.. Proof of your socio-professional status in Canada:

- If you are self-employed: business registration

- If you are employed, you must provide a detailed proof of employment (letter from your employer) as well as your last three pay stubs

- If you are retired with pension, you need to provide a proof of it

- If you are a student, you must provide a recent detailed letter from your school

- If you have a scholarship, you must submit your scholarship papers.

- If you are unemployed you must provide proof that you have sufficient funds in your name for your trip or financial guarantor’s (spouse, parents, other) detailed proof of employment (letter from the employer) as well as the last three pay stubs AND the marriage certificate translated either in English or in French

7. Your last three months bank statements

- Any internet banking document downloaded from internet and not stamped by your actual bank branch manager won’t be accepted as proof of your financial resources. The bank statement should indicate clearly the bank name and customer’s name and be less than a week old.
If you plan on traveling with savings, be sure to provide proof of your savings account(s).

8. Travel medical insurance valid for the entire length of your stay in the French DOM, covering treatment, hospitalization, repatriation, death, pregnancy, for a minimum of $50,000 CAD + copy.

9. Proof of accommodation:

* Confirmed hotel reservations for your entire stay

* or, if you are staying with friends or family, original of "Attestation d’Accueil" that your host has to request at the City Hall (Mairie) in France. The attestation d’accueil is mandatory for stays with individuals residing in France. No other document will be accepted in that case

- Example of the Attestation d’Accueil :

PDF - 532.1 kb
Attestation d’accueil
(PDF - 532.1 kb)

* If you rent a property in France : a copy of the lease in France and proof of payment as well as a copy of the landowners ID (CNI, passport, titre de séjour en France, residence permit in France etc.)

* If you own a property in France: a proof that you own the property (purchase document, title of property) and any document related (phone, gas, hydro bill)


- Business Trip: please also provide a letter from your employer in Canada or from your host company in France stating that you are in France on behalf of the company, giving the name and address of the contact person(s) in France and guaranteeing full responsibility for expenses, lodging, and return to Canada.
- Studies: registration in a French educational institution, with details on the program (subject, exact dates etc...)
- Scientist and teaching assistant : Original of the "convention d’accueil" issued by an accredited organisation and stamped by the Préfecture. If you are going as a teaching assistant, you must submit your arrêté de nomination issued by the Rectorat you refer to when in France + photocopy
- Participation in a conference: invitation to the conference or proof that you are registered for it, and your resume

- Artist under contract : Original of the work contract stamped by the competent "Direction Régionale des Entreprises, de la Concurrence, de la Consommation et de l’Emploi"(DIRECCTE, former DDTEFP) or by the Direction Régionale des Affaires Culturelles (DRAC). If you are on a show tour, it is the DIRECCTE or the DRAC of the first place you will begin your tour that is competent + photocopy

- Internship : Original of the Convention de stage between your employer, your school and yourself, signed by all parties and stamped by the supervising organization + photocopy

11. If you do not live in the Vancouver area, a self-addressed Xpresspost envelope (Canada Post) so that your passport may be returned to you. One per family is sufficient.

APPLICANTS UNDER 18 YEARS OLD must be accompanied by their parents or legal guardian in Canada for the appointment and also bring the following documents:

12. birth certificate + translation into English if applicable + copy.
For minors living in Canada with a guardian (and not a parent), the document proving the guardianship will be required + copy

13. Parental consent form for minors not traveling with their parents and/or applying with a legal guardian

PDF - 23 kb
Parental Consent Form
(PDF - 23 kb)

- Children travelling with their parents on their parent’s passport do need their own visa with photo and visa application form. Therefore, applicants should also submit one recent passport size photographs for every child travelling with them. Please make sure that you have enough pages to affix the visas for you and your child(ren).

2.Long stay visas for the French overseas Départments

- If you hold a valid passport of one of the following countries, you do not require a visa:

Andorra Austria Belgium Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Estonia
Finland France Germany Greece Hungary
Iceland Ireland Italy Latvia Liechstenstein Lithuania Luxembourg
Malta Monaco The Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal
Saint Marin Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden The United Kingdom Vatican

You have to go directly to the Préfecture of the DOM in order to apply for your Carte de Séjour.

If you hold a passport from a country not listed above, you must obtain a long stay visa prior to your departure from Canada. The specific type of visa depends on your own situation and the purpose of your visit.
Click here for information about the visa categories and application process.

3. France-Canada Youth-Exchange Agreement for the French overseas Départments

The terms of the France-Canada Youth Exchange Agreement enable you to obtain a specific long stay visa - including a working holiday visa - for Guadeloupe, Martinique, Guyane and the Réunion.
The application process is the same as for France and you will find all the information by clicking here.

[1biometric passport holders exempted from short stay visa

[2biometric passport holders exempted from short stay visa

[3biometric passport holders exempted from short stay visa

[4If the passport does show the ID card number on it, no Schengen visa is required

Dernière modification : 18/05/2016

top of the page