The processing of the application : the interview and the processing time

1. Where and how to apply


An application is formally lodged by providing the following elements:

- a recognised valid passport with at least 2 available blank visa pages (no stamp, no mark), issued less than 10 years ago and valid for at least 3 months after your return to Canada;

- an application form - completed, dated and signed -,

- 2 passport size photographs;

- payment of the non-refundable processing fee.

Failing to comply with any of these simple requirements will lead to your application being rejected and the obligation to take a new appointment.

All applications do however also require supporting documents without which processing is impossible. For the complete list of required documents, check the links to the different types of visas on this website. Please note that each list is not exhaustive and that the Visa Section reserves itself the right to ask further documentation if not satisfied with the one provided.

In the case of an incomplete application, the Consulate-General will refuse the visa. Therefore, the applicant will have to take a new appointment, lodge a new application and pay a new processing fee, regardless of the intended date of departure.

In this case, the whole application file is kept as a record and the applicant cannot get the documents provided back. A new set of documents will have to be submitted if a new application is lodged.

Different types of visa

Depending on the duration and the purpose of your stay in France and in the DOM TOM CTOM , a short stay visa or a long stay visa may be issued.

A short stay means a stay less than 90 days within any 180 day period.

There are two different categories of short stay visas (1-90 days):

- The Airport Transit Visa, and

- Short stay visas are often Schengen visas (except for the DOM, TOM and CTOM and New Caledonia).

There are two types of long stay visas according to its length of validity :

- The long stay visa up to 12 months, and

- The temporary long stay visa up to six months.

Depending on the purpose and the motive and length of your stay in France, you can apply for one of the below categories of long stay visa.

1. The long stay visa VLS-TS (Visa de Long Séjour valant Titre de Séjour) allows you to stay in France for more than 3 months and maximum up to 12 months. Your long stay visa becomes the equivalent of a "titre de séjour (residence permit)" in France only when it has been validated by the "OFII(Office Français de l’immigration et de l’Intégration)". This type of long stay visa can be issued only to certain visa categories. Below five categories belong to VLS-TS visas:

- Visitor without working nor studying

- Private Study

- Work (salarié OFII)

- Temporary Work (salarié temporaire OFII)

- Spouse of a French

If you wish to renew your resident permit you must within the last two months before your visa expires, go to the relevant local authorities of your place of residence ("Préfecture") and apply for a resident permit "carte de séjour". You will be given the necessary forms and the list of requirements by the préfecture, which can vary according to the reasons of your stay. Failing to do so will result in your having to return to your last country of residency to request a new visa.

VERY IMPORTANT : if you wish to leave France for another Schengen Zone country or travel to your country of origin or last residency, be sure that you have the sticker "Vignette OFII" in your passport, next to your French visa. Otherwise, you will not be allowed to enter France before having obtained a return visa ("Visa de retour Consulaire") from the relevant consular authorities.

2. Visa de Long Séjour Temporaire D - Long stay up to 6 months Retour

A temporay long stay for a stay longer than 90 days but shorter than 6 months and is valid for << FRANCE (+ 1 TRANSIT SCHENGEN >>.

This visa allows unlimited number of entries to France, and mentions "DISPENSE TEMPORAIRE DE CARTE DE SEJOUR".

With this visa, you are exempted from the obligation to have the residence permit in France and also from the OFII procedure. Thus, you are not required to bring the OFII form to your appointment at the consulate.

This temporary long stay visa can be issued for the visa categories, visitor/visiteur, student/études à titre privé or 2B, and employee/salarié OFII.

If you are issued with this type of visa D, you must leave France before your visa expires. This visa cannot be extended nor exchanged to other type of visa.

3. Long Stay Visa D to obtain a residence permit once in France; This type of long stay visa D is valid for 3 months for << FRANCE (+ 1 TRANSIT SCHENGEN >>. This visa allows unlimited number of entries to France and mentions "CARTE DE SEJOUR A SOLLICITER DANS LES 2 MOIS SUIVANT L’ARRIVEE". If you are issued with this type of visa D, you must visit the préfecture nearest your place of residence in France within two months after your arrival in France:

- Expatriate (salarié en mission)

- Scientist/ Researcher

- etc.

To find the correct contact address for your local préfecture, please visit the website of French Ministry of Home Affairs. (in French only)

4. France - Canada Youth Exchange agreement;

- 2A – Young Professional Development / Perfectionnement jeune professionnel

- 2B – University Exchange / Echange inter-universitaire

- 2C – Company Internship / Stage pratique en entreprise

- 2E – Working Holiday Visa / Vacances-travail

If you can meet all of the below requirements, you are eligible for this category of visa.

- Must be between the ages of 18 and 35 upon submission of application,

- Must be a Canadian citizen and reside in Canada upon submission of application,

- Must be in possession of a Canadian passport, valid for minimum of 3 months after the completion of the visit,

- Must be financially solvent for the duration of the visit.

- You can only be admitted twice in the youth exchanges agreement, and it must under two different visa categories. The stays must be discontinuous. Participants must thus return to re-apply for a different visa.

- The duration of each stay cannot exceed one year, except for young professionals wishing to continue their development under a work contract (possibility to extend their stay by 6 months).

France - Canada Youth Exchange Agreement

3. The Schengen Zone

The visa section issues short stay visas valid for the Schengen country members.

If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you may apply for a visa at the French Consulate General only if :

- France is your main destination, meaning that you will be spending most of your time there.

- France is your first port of entry, provided you are spending the same amount of time in each of the Schengen countries. If not, please apply at the appropriate Schengen consulate.

The following countries are members of the Schengen Agreement:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland

PDF - 93.8 kb
Schengen area map
(PDF - 93.8 kb)

Dernière modification : 10/08/2013

top of the page