Short stay visa

1- What is a "Schengen visa"?

A Schengen visa, also called ’C’ visa, is a short stay visa (up to 90 days in a six-month period) valid for the 25 States member of the Schengen agreement :

Austria Belgium Czech Republic Denmark Estonia
Finland France Germany Greece Hungary
Iceland Italy Latvia Lithuania Luxembourg
Malta The Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal
Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland

Therefore, you don’t need to apply twice when you travel to 2 or more different Schengen countries.


  • If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply at the Consulate of that specific country.
  • If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you must apply at the Consulate of the country of your main destination, or the country where you will be staying the longest (in number of nights spent in the country).
  • If you intend to visit several Schengen for the same amount of time (exact same number of nights spent in each country), you must apply at the Consulate of your first entry.

Duration of stay : you may stay up to 90 days in the "Schengen area" with such a visa. These 90 days are meant by semester.

Leaving the Schengen area and re-entering just after doesn’t grant a new 90-day period of stay.

A visa may be issued for one entry or multiple entries.

The Schengen area - JPEG

3- Do I need a visa to visit France?

  • YES, if you are a citizen of the following countries even if you hold a Canadian Permanent Resident Card
Afghanistan Albania [1] Algeria
Angola Anguilla Armenia
Azerbaijan Bahrain Bangladesh
Belize Benin Bhutan
Belarus Bolivia Bosnia and Hezegovina [2]
Botswana British Virgin Islands Burkina Faso
Burma Burundi Cambodia
Cameroon Cape Verde Cayman Islands
Central African Republic Chad China
Comoros Congo Cuba
Dem. Republic of Congo Djibouti
Dominican Republic Egypt Ecuador
Eritrea Ethiopia Equatorial Guinea
Fiji Gabon Gambia
Georgia Ghana Gibraltar
Guinea Guinea Bissau
Guyana Haiti Hong Kong except S.A.R.
India Indonesia Iraq
Iran Ivory Coast Jamaica
Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya
Kyrgyzstan Kiribati Kuwait
Laos Lesotho Lebanon
Liberia Libya Macao except S.A.R.
Macedonia Madagascar Malawi
Maldives Mali Marshall Islands
Morocco Mauritania Moldova [3]
Mongolia Montserrat
Mozambique Namibia Nauru
Nepal Niger Nigeria
North Korea Oman Pakistan
Palau Palestine Papua new Guinea
Philippines Qatar
Refugees Russia Rwanda
Saudi Arabia Saint Lucia Sao Tome Principe
Saint Helen Salomon Islands Senegal
Serbia Sierra Leone Somalia
Sudan South Sudan South Africa
Sri Lanka Stateless Suriname
Swaziland Syria Tajikistan
Taiwan [4] Tanzania Thailand
Togo Tonga Tunisia
Turks and Caicos Turkmenistan Turkey
Uganda Ukraine [5]
United Arab Emirates Uzbekistan Vietnam
Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe

Holders of a Canadian Certificate of Identity (grey cover): please note that this document is not recognized and does not enble its holder to travel to the Schengen Zone.

  • NO, if you hold a passport issued by a country NOT listed above, you do not need any visa to enter France for tourism, business or family visit.

    Canadian passport holders do not need a short stay visa to go to France for less than 90 days per semester even for working purpose. If you are going to work in France, you just have to make sure that your employer has obtained for you the work authorization by the French Labor Departement (DIRECCTE) before you start working.

If you are going to work in France, please check this section: click here for the application process.

4- Processing time

The required processing time ranges from one day to four weeks, depending on your nationality, the type of visa requested and the type of passport or travel document you hold. Applications can be filed three months prior to the traveling date.
Under no circumstances can the process be expedited so be sure to file your application at least three to four weeks before your intended departure.

5- How to file an application

As of May 15th, 2014, with the implementation of the V.I.S (Visa Information System), all applicants over the age of 12 will have to get their biometric data - photo and fingerprints - collected.

Therefore, applicants over 12 years old wherever they reside, will have to come in person to file their applications in Vancouver. There can be no exception.

No appointment can be made at the counter, by phone or by e-mail. Appointments are reserved for applications. Do not book an appointment to obtain information - information can only be obtained by email.

1 appointment = 1 passport. A family of 4 will need 4 slots, even if the children are minors.

6- Requirements

Please provide the required documents in the following order, with the original and the copy together. Do not use any paper clips or staples. Presenting a file that has not been organized will delay the application.

1. Passport issued less than 10 years ago and valid at least three months after the expiry date of the visa + photocopy of all the main pages (pages with picture, expiry date of passport, previous Schengen visas, etc..)

There must be at least two empty pages left in your passport for the visa and the entry stamp. The passport must be valid for three (3) months after your return to Canada.

2. one Schengen visa application form filled out and signed.

- Français :

PDF - 87 kb
Formulaire de demande de visa Schengen
(PDF - 87 kb)

- English :

PDF - 108.8 kb
Schengen Visa Application Form
(PDF - 108.8 kb)

- Chinese - please fill out the form in English :

PDF - 896.2 kb
Application Form Chinese
(PDF - 896.2 kb)

3. Processing fee.

4. two recent and identical ID pictures, format 35mm X 45mm only, respecting the following photo quality:

- Required Photo quality :

PDF - 220.6 kb
Photo requirements
(PDF - 220.6 kb)

Please paste one picture on the form and include the remaining one in an envelope.

5. Any document supporting your status in Canada and allowing your re-entry (Permanent resident card, work or study permit, visitor record) + copy.
Visitors to Canada must file their application in their country of origin or residence. The only exception is visitors who hold a visitor record.

6.. Proof of your socio-professional status in Canada + copy:

- If you are self-employed: business registration

- If you are employed, you must provide a detailed proof of employment (letter from your employer) as well as your last three pay stubs

- If you are retired with pension, you need to provide a proof of it

- If you are a student, you must provide a recent detailed letter from your school

- If you have a scholarship, you must submit your scholarship papers.

- If you are unemployed you must provide proof that you have sufficient funds in your name for your trip or financial guarantor’s (spouse, parents, other) detailed proof of employment (letter from the employer) as well as the last three pay stubs AND the marriage certificate translated either in English or in French

7. Your last three months bank statements + copy

- Any internet banking document downloaded from internet and not stamped by your actual bank branch manager won’t be accepted as proof of your financial resources. The bank statement should indicate clearly the bank name and customer’s name and be less than a week old.
If you plan on traveling with savings, be sure to provide proof of your savings account(s).

8. Travel medical insurance valid for the entire length of your stay in the Schengen zone, covering medicine, hospitalization, repatriation, death, pregnancy, for a minimum of $50,000 CAD + copy.

9. Print Out of flight booking, and any other flight, train or car rental booking for the entire travel in the Schengen zone or proof of participating in an organized tour.

10. Proof of accommodation + copy:

* Confirmed hotel reservations for your entire stay in the Schengen states

* or, if you are staying with friends or family, original of "Attestation d’Accueil" that your host has to request at the City Hall (Mairie) in France. The attestation d’accueil is mandatory for stays with individuals residing in France. No other document will be accepted in that case

- Example of the Attestation d’Accueil :

PDF - 532.1 kb
Attestation d’accueil
(PDF - 532.1 kb)

* If you rent a property in France : a copy of the lease in France and proof of payment as well as a copy of the landowners ID (CNI, passport, titre de séjour en France, residence permit in France etc.)

* If you own a property in France: a proof that you own the property (purchase document, title of property) and any document related (phone, gas, hydro bill)

11. Travel Plan, if you are visiting more than one Schengen state:
For Chinese citizens, please watch this video in Chinese about travel plans.

PDF - 12.5 kb
Travel Plan
(PDF - 12.5 kb)


- Business Trip: please also provide a letter from your employer in Canada or from your host company in France stating that you are in France on behalf of the company, giving the name and address of the contact person(s) in France and guaranteeing full responsibility for expenses, lodging, and return to Canada.
- Studies: registration in a French educational institution, with details on the program (subject, exact dates etc...)
- Scientist and teaching assistant : Original of the "convention d’accueil" issued by an accredited organisation and stamped by the Préfecture. If you are going as a teaching assistant, you must submit your arrêté de nomination issued by the Rectorat you refer to when in France + photocopy
- Participation in a conference: invitation to the conference or proof that you are registered for it, and your resume

- Artist under contract : Original of the work contract stamped by the competent "Direction Régionale des Entreprises, de la Concurrence, de la Consommation et de l’Emploi"(DIRECCTE, former DDTEFP) or by the Direction Régionale des Affaires Culturelles (DRAC). If you are on a show tour, it is the DIRECCTE or the DRAC of the first place you will begin your tour that is competent + photocopy

- Internship : Original of the Convention de stage between your employer, your school and yourself, signed by all parties and stamped by the supervising organization + photocopy

13. If you do not live in the Vancouver area, a self-addressed Xpresspost envelope (Canada Post) so that your passport may be returned to you. One per family is sufficient.

APPLICANTS UNDER 18 YEARS OLD must be accompanied by their parents or legal guardian in Canada for the appointment and also bring the following documents:

14. birth certificate + translation into English if applicable + copy.
For minors living in Canada with a guardian (and not a parent), the document proving the guardianship will be required + copy

15. Parental consent form for minors not traveling with their parents and/or applying with a legal guardian

PDF - 23 kb
Parental Consent Form
(PDF - 23 kb)

- Children travelling with their parents on their parent’s passport do need their own visa with photo and visa application form. Therefore, applicants should also submit one recent passport size photographs for every child travelling with them. Please make sure that you have enough pages to affix the visas for you and your child(ren).

7- Be aware...

  • The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
  • Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
  • Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter the Schengen zone.

[1biometric passport holders exempted from short stay visa

[2biometric passport holders exempted from short stay visa

[3biometric passport holders exempted from short stay visa

[4If the passport does show the ID card number on it, no Schengen visa is required

[5except for biometric passport holders as of Junet 11th 2017

Dernière modification : 20/04/2018

top of the page