French computer graphics and interactive techniques at SIGGRAPH
A world-class event for the creative and digital industries, SIGGRAPH has become one of the major events for emerging technologies. For 8 years, France is present at SIGGRAPH, gathering the best French innovation companies.
This year, 12 selected companies were presenting their projects at the heart of the exhibition: Booth 921. This operation was organized by the French clusters Cap Digital (Paris Region), Images & Réseaux (Britany Region) and Imaginove (Rhône-Alpes Region).
Companies’ achievements: an insight of three of the most impressive success stories that will be presented at the French Pavilion.
Goalem develops artist-friendly tools for crowd simulation, making it easy to populate TV shows, commercials, feature films and games with digital extras from a few to thousands. It has now been used in more than 50 productions to create various crowds such as soldiers from Rob Starck’s army in Game Of Thrones, a massive hord of zombies in The Walking Dead or a big stadium audience for Shakira in the last T-Mobile TV commercial.
Created in 2004, Kolor develops image-stitching software, virtual tour software and 360-degree video solutions, and offers a selection of the best equipment for panoramic photography and video on its online store. Kolor solutions and expertise enable to create breakthrough Immersive Experiences such as the Paris 26 GigaPixels or Adidas Brazucam for 2014 FIFA World Cup.
Mikros image has been honing its expertise in digital visual effects for thirty years leading the studio to handle high-end projects. Mikros image is the vfx invisible genius behind the CG babies and baby Spiderman in Evian commercials which turned out to be both major viral ads. Based in Paris, Brussels, Liège and Montréal, Mikros image is a multi-awarded society and has brought home one Academy Award for Best Short Movie Logorama by H5 and three Visual Effects Society Awards (commercials: Citroën C3 Dog, Canal+, The Bear, Dior J’adore). In addition, Mikros image has developed its animation studio: Astérix The land of the Gods will be released in 3D for Christmas this year in France while Mune and The Little Prince are being produced in Mikros image Montréal.
The 12 French companies at Siggraph - Booth 921
- 4D View Solutions turns reality into CG, helping television & film productions lower costs while improving scene richness.
- Dynamixyz Performer is Dynamixyz’ award-winning video-based facial capture and analysis solution and delivers unsurpassed raw animation and unique real-time capability. Twitter: @Dynamixyz
- Golaem develops Golaem Crowd, an artist-friendly tool to populate worlds with directable digital characters, from a few to thousands. Twitter : @golaem
- Kolor 360° videos on Oculus Rift, tablets & computers? Join the VR revolution at the Kolor booth. Twitter : @kolorcompany
- Kubity The fast and seamless way to bring life to your 3D models and share them on the web and mobile. @kubity
- Mercenaries Engineering has developed Guerilla Render: professional rendering, look development and lighting solution specifically designed for the Animation and the VFX industries. @GuerillaRender
- Mikros Image : As a major French post-production house, Mikros Image will show his latest works for commercials and features films, empowered with in-house tools and techniques. Twitter: @Mikrosimage
- MotionTree Rich Video] tools for professionals creative minds. Twitter : @MotionTreeTeam
- Natron, an open-source cross-platform video compositing software based on OpenFX developed by Inria, a public science and technology research institution. Twitter: @natronVFX
- nukeygara What if 3D character animation finally became far easier... akeytsu is a 3D program dedicated to character animation and rigging, putting the animator back at the heart of his craft. Twitter: @akeytsu
- Third Eye innovative-shaped helmet is a ready-to-shoot solution that delivers high-quality facial data from an unlimited number of sources.
- VideoStitch presents: 360 live with Oculus Rift! An out of body VR experience! Twitter: @VideoStitch
Cap Digital is today recognized as one of the major European clusters dedicated to the digital industries and the transformation of the global economy. With more than 800 active members, including 670 SMEs, 50 major and midsize corporations, 70 higher education and research institutions and 12 capital investors, Cap Digital is one of the largest clusters in France. Cap Digital’s goal is to foster collaborative research & development and the internationalization of SMEs. We provide our members with competitive intelligence, training, matchmaking/networking and funding solutions. Since 2007, Cap Digital has been representing the French digital industry at SIGGRAPH, allowing each year a dozen of the French most innovative SMEs to exhibit at this worldwide event. Cap Digital organizes annually the world digital festival “Futur en Seine”, presenting the latest digital innovations from France and around the world to professionals and the general public. www.capdigital.com. www.futur-en-seine.paris.
The Imaginove competitive cluster federates and contributes to the expansion of projects and businesses belonging to the digital content industry in the Rhône-Alpes region. Its activities stimulate the region’s dynamics and boost its national and global renown.Imaginove’s target is to increasingly serve as a top European reference where the future of digital content and usages takes shape. Resolutely turned toward the creation and production of content, the competitive cluster is able to foresee new usages, rebounding off new technologies to push future limits. Over the past 6 years our value chain has changed remarkably, integrating new circulation platforms such as the web as well as recent communicating objects such as Smartphones, tablets or even home robotics and smart textiles. www.imaginove.fr/en. www.imaginove.fr
Images & Réseaux has drafted its strategic roadmap in keeping with its main market objectives and the research and development axes needed to assist its members with their development. These ambitious objectives are also rolled out thanks to a strong network in Brittany and the Pays de la Loire and beyond via industrial companies, very small, small and medium sized business and Major Groups, but also actors involved in research and training and all professionals working towards regional economic development. www.images-et-reseaux.com