Documents needed when entering France

What do you need to cross the French border?

Whether or not you are required to obtain a visa before travelling, even if you are an Canadian citizen, you may be requested to show the following elements to the French immigration officers upon arrival :

1. a valid passport (still valid 3 months after your expected return from France),

2. a return plane ticket (for a short stay only),

3. means of support during the stay (cash, credit cards, traveler cheques…)

4. accommodation reservations or, for some visa holders only, an "attestation d’accueil"

About your travel document

Please make sure that your travel document/passport:

- has a minimum of two blank pages (to affix the visa and/or for border stamps). Only visa pages are valid, amendments pages cannot be used for visas or entry stamps.

- is in good condition (any damage can be considered as a compromission of the security of the travel document and declined)

- has been issued less than 10 years ago.

- Photocopy of all the identification pages of the passport is required for visa application (identification, picture, passport number, date of issuance, expiration date, and if applicable : extension & signature)

Holders of a Canadian Certificate of Identity (grey cover): please note that this document is not recognized and does not enble its holder to travel to the Schengen Zone.

The current French administrative practice regarding passports does not make it mandatory for a foreign minor (under 18 years old) to travel with an individual passport if he/she has been entered in to one of his/her parent’s passport.

No specific document is required by France when a minor is traveling with his/her own passport, whether alone or accompanied by an adult.

However, when a child is traveling alone, he/she cannot travel with his parents passport even if he/she has been registered on it. An individual passport is then mandatory.

The consulate also advises the minor to take with him/her a written parental consent for the specific trip with a photocopy of the parents’ identification cards ( driver’s licence, passport, or citizenship ).

If a child is travelling with a passport bearing a citizenship that requires a visa to enter the Schengen area, no matter what his/her status in Canada is, he/she has to apply for a visa before his/her departure.

If you are seperated or divorced from your child’s parent, and wish to travel to France with your child, you have to file additional documents for your visa application. In order to protect minors, the child’s birth certificate and both parents’ passports are required. In the case of parents who are separated, the Consulate General of France accepts a certified copy of the passport of the parent who is not present, accompanied by a parental letter of consent for the child to travel to France. You must provide the address and the exact dates of your trip. If you have exclusive custody of your child, please provide the documents establishing your custody right. These documents may be requested from you at the border.

All passports must bear the holder’s signature.

If you are not a Canadian permanent resident, or if your permanent residency is submitted to a renewal date, your residency permit in Canada must be valid for at least 3 month (90 days) upon your return to Canada.

If you do not return to Canada after your trip, you still need to leave the Schengen area before the end of your Canadian visa and provide a ticket back to your country of residence.

Please also note that your Canadian residency must be endorsed on your current passport or previous cancelled passport (in this case you will have to provide the original of this document, copies will not be taken into account).

Dernière modification : 08/03/2016

top of the page