Foreign nationals wishing to travel to France [fr]

Last update : March 20.

Advice for Foreign Nationals in France.

Please visit

Specific questions from citizens in Canada.

I am not a French national. Can I travel to France from Canada?

No. all entry into France from Canada is prohibited unless there is a compelling reason.
The complete list of compelling reasons is available on the travel certificate that can be downloaded from the website of the Ministry of the Interior.

Only a few categories of foreign nationals are being admitted into French territory. You will only be able to travel to France if you can prove that you are:

- A French national;
- The spouse (married, PACS or non-marital union proven by supporting documents) or child of a French national;
- A European Union or assimilated national, as well as his/her spouse (married, civil union or cohabiting partner) and children, whose primary residence is in France or who is in transit through France to reach the country of which he or she is a national or resident;
- A third country national holding a valid French or European Residence Permit or Long Stay Visa, with a primary residence in France, or who is in transit through France to reach his or her domicile in a European Union or assimilated country (valid only if the trip abroad took place before January 31, 2021 or was justified by a compelling reason);
- A British national and family members who are beneficiaries of the agreement on the withdrawal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland from the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community; (valid only if the trip abroad took place before January 31, 2021 or was justified by a compelling reason);
- A third-country nationals holding a long-stay visa issued for family reunification or family reunification of refugees, beneficiaries of subsidiary protection and stateless persons;
- A foreign health or research professional contributing to the fight against Covid-19 or who is recruited as an associate intern;
- A third country national with a VLS Talent Passport
- A student settling in France for the second university semester as part of a higher education program or holding a "student competition" visa; A researcher settling in France at the invitation of a research laboratory, for research activities requiring a physical presence
- A worker in the land, sea and air transport sector or transport service providers, including drivers of any vehicle transporting goods for use in the territory as well as those who are only in transit, or traveling as a passenger to position themselves at their base of departure or for training;
- A foreign national working for a diplomatic or consular mission, or an international organization with a headquarters or office in France, as well as their spouses and children, or foreign nationals from third countries staying in France for imperative professional reasons under cover of a mission order issued by the State to which they belong;
- A traveler in transit for less than 24 hours in an international zone.

To enter France, all travellers coming from Canada must present to the transport company before boarding and to the border control authorities:

- For travelers over eleven years of age only, the result of the virological test "RT-PCR COVID" carried out less than 72 hours before departure (departure of the first flight in case of travel with a connection) and not concluding to a contamination by covid-19. If you are not in possession of these results, you will be denied boarding. An antigenic test will not be accepted.

- A sworn statement certifying that you do not show signs of Covid-19 and that you have not met anyone with Covid-19 in the last 14 days. This attestation will also certify that you will respect a self-isolation for 7 days after your arrival and carry out a virological test "RT-PCR COVID" at the end of your isolation.

- The international travel certificate specifying the derogatory reason for entering French territory.

- official documents to justify their situation (for example, for common-law spouses: joint lease, joint bank account, etc.; for a child of a French national: livret de famille or birth certificate + valid French identity papers of the French parent; for a third-country national holding a residence permit and having his or her main residence in France: residence permit + property title or lease, electricity subscription, etc.).

- a visa if you are subject to a visa requirement.

These documents can be downloaded from the Ministry of the Interior website.

Travellers who need to present a test result within a short period of time can go to a screening center near their home.

Various services are offered by private companies, who determine the costs themselves. The applicant is responsible for covering those costs and for ensuring the appointment is made within the appropriate time frame.

Air passengers on all flights departing or arriving at a Canadian airport will be required to show that they have a mask or face cover when boarding, otherwise they will not be allowed to continue their trip. Travellers will be asked to cover their nose and mouth at Canadian airport checkpoints, during boarding and during the flight. You are also advised to check the specific health measures put in place by the airline company operating your flight.

Upon arrival in France, all persons aged 11 and over must wear a protective mask in enclosed public spaces. See the detailed article at

I am in Canada and I need to transit through France. Is this possible? Do I need to provide any documents as proof?

People from Canada, regardless of their nationality, may transit through France.

There are no particular requirements set by the French government for passengers with a connecting flight within the international zone (single reservation number with the same airline company). However, you have to check the requirements set by the country of final destination.

You are also encouraged to check the sanitary measures put in place by the airline company operating your flight.

I would like to obtain a visa to go to France. Is this possible?

Due to Covid-19, France has imposed restrictions on entry into its territory. Only visa applications submitted by persons falling within one of the categories listed on the international travel certificate can be processed by the visa service.

Applicants who do not fall into one of these categories must postpone their travel plans.

I am a student or researcher and I would like to go to France. Is this possible?

France has organized itself to welcome international students and researchers for a long stay and to allow them to reach their training institution safely, in the context of the pandemic. Currently, entry into France from Canada is prohibited, except for compelling and justified reasons. The following are included in these exemptions for compelling reasons:

- Students coming to France for the second academic semester as part of a program at a higher education institution (public and private institutions recognized by the State). Mobilities for learning FLE in a center labeled Qualité FLE, eligible for the issuance of a VLS for studies, are authorized. Only mobility for internships or learning periods planned as part of the university education is authorized.
- Researchers coming to France at the invitation of a research laboratory, for research activities requiring a physical presence (short research stays of less than 90 days are not authorized).
- Holders of long-stay "talent passport" visas, including "researcher" talent passports, are also included among those who may come to France for compelling reasons.
- Foreign health or research professionals contributing to the fight against COVID or recruited as an associate trainee.

All information regarding international students and researchers is available on the Campus France Canada website.

Measures for foreign nationals involved in a romantic relationship with a French national

In order to contain the spread of COVID-19 variants, these measures have been suspended for the time being.

Dernière modification : 24/03/2021

top of the page